It is sad that so many good religious people ignore the New Testament teaching concerning baptism. Many precious souls will be lost because they were not baptized for the remission of sins. Consider the following points which prove that baptism is necessary in order to be saved.
1. We are baptized for remission of sins. Acts 2:38, “Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.”
2. Baptism is necessary to wash away sins. Acts 22:16, “And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.”
3. Baptism saves. 1 Pet. 3:21, “The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:’
4. Mk. 16:16, “He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.”
5. We put on Christ in baptism. Gal. 3:26-27, “For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.” (Note that salvation is in Christ. 2 Tim. 2:10).
6. God commands us to be baptized. Acts 10:47-48, “Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.”
7. From baptism we arise to walk in newness of life. Rom. 6:4, “Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.”
8. Christ commands baptism — It is authorized by Him. Mt. 28:19-20, “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen”
Acts 22:16 “And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.”
(Ready References for Growing Christians)