In Jesus’ prayer to the Father in John 17, He states that His disciples are not of this world, just as He is not of this world. How can that be? Were we not born in this world? Of course we were. But, we have been called out of this world (2 Cor. 6:17, 1 Pet. 1:13-15), and we have been purchased with the precious blood of Jesus (Acts 20:28; 1 Pet. 1:18.19). We do not belong to this world, or even to ourselves (1 Cor. 6:19-20).
If we do not belong to this world, than how do we live in this world? Missionaries, diplomats and others could give us some insight living in a culture that is not our own, but let’s learn how from one that knows more than all of these put together, Jesus – the Son of God, who left heaven and dwelt as a man in a world in which He did not belong. How did He do it, and what did He teach that will help us do it?
1. Remember that you do not belong here (Matt. 6:19-21; 22:17-21). Jesus knew where He was from and often spoke of returning.
2. Do not fall in love with this world (Matt. 6:24; 1 Jn. 2:15-17; 2 Pet. 2:20). Jesus knew a better place, heaven, and knew that He was returning there when His mission on earth was complete.
3. Live holy lives (Matt. 5-7; 1 Pet. 1:15). Jesus lived a perfect life, without sin, even in this dark world.
4. Stay focused on why you are here (Matt. 6:33; Col. 3:22-24). Jesus constantly was concerned with fulfilling the will of His Father.
5. Stay in touch with the home land (1 Thess. 5:17; Matt. 22:29; 2 Tim. 2:15). Jesus frequently separated himself from the mob and disciples to pray. Know the Scriptures thoroughly. He also taught others to pray, and the importance of knowing the Scriptures.
6. Look expectantly to going home (Jn. 14:3; Lk. 12:36-37; 1 Cor. 11:23-26). Jesus spoke about returning to the Father and taking His disciples with Him.
If we will observe and practice the way Jesus lived and what He taught, then we too can live as we should in this world to which we do not belong.
Paul’s Valley, Oklahoma, via Messenger
(From Midtown church of Christ)