The scripture plainly teaches that “Faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ” Rom. 10:17. This is confirmed in the context following which says, “their voice has gone out into all the earth and their words to the end of the world” Rom. 10:18. If someone never hears the gospel, or never reads it, they will not have faith. Here are a few examples to show that people need to hear the word in order to have faith and be saved:
• Satan can remove the word from a hard heart, Mk. 4:15.
• The word can be received with joy, Mk. 4:16.
• Some hear the word and bear fruit, Mk. 4:20.
• We are blessed if we hear and observe the word, Lk. 11:28.
• Some could not hear/receive Jesus’ word, Jn. 8:43.
• Jesus’ sheep hear his voice and follow Him, Jn. 10:27.
• Cornelius and company assembled in his house to hear what God had commanded, Acts 10:33.
• The whole city of Psidion Antioch assembled to hear the word of the Lord, Acts 13:44.
• Peter said that God chose him to preach to the gentiles — by his mouth they would hear and believe, Acts 15:7.
• And Romans 10:14 states; “How then will they call on Him in whom they have believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher?”
This is why Christians need to share their faith with everyone, so they can hear, believe and obey.
From Midtown church of Christ website