If you ask a millionaire to define happiness, he might say that to be happy is to have two million dollars. If you ask a nine-year-old boy, he might answer happiness is being ten years old. If you ask a candidate, he might say winning an upcoming election. To the athlete, it might be winning the big game.
All of these are fleeting, but God knows how to bring lasting happiness to each of us. Happiness is found in the following:
1. Being corrected by God: “Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty” (Job 5:17).
2. Having children: “Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them” (Psalm 127:5).
3. Working an honest day for an honest day’s pay: “For thou shalt eat the labour of thine hands: happy shalt thou be, and it shall be well with thee” (Psalm 128:2).
4. Being the children of Almighty God: “Happy is that people, whose God is the Lord” (Psalm 144:15).
5. Happiness is found in obeying the will of the Father: “He that keepeth the law, happy is he” (Proverbs 29:18).
6. Giving to those in need: “He that hath mercy on the poor, happy is he” (Proverbs 14:21).
7. Having a tender heart that can be pricked by God’s word: “Happy is the man that feareth alway: but he that hardeneth his heart shall fall into mischief” (Proverbs 28:14).
Where are you searching for happiness? Try God’s way. —Barry Gilreath
House to House archives