Most people live as though they cannot disobey God, or that it doesn’t make any difference if they do. There are at least five ways people disobey God:
- By doing what is specifically forbidden. Adam and Eve ate of the forbidden tree (Genesis 1:16-17; 3:6). Lot’s wife looked back to the city of Sodom (Genesis 19:17, 26). Ananias and Sapphira lied to God (Acts 5:1-11). There are many sins that are forbidden in the Bible (Galatians 5:19-21; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10; Romans 1:18-32; Colossians 3:5-9).
2. By refusing to do what God has commanded. “Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin” (James 4:17). God commanded King Saul to utterly destroy the Amalekites, but he spared their king along with sheep and oxen. He sinned in refusing to do what God commanded (1 Samuel 15:22).
3. By adding to what the Bible says. God has never allowed men to add to His word (Revelation 22:18; Deuteronomy 4:2). Men today add to God’s word when they refer to themselves by man-made names not found in the Bible. When men add: mechanical instruments of music, burning of candles/incense, creeds and manuals, etc., they go beyond that which is written (1 Corinthians 4:6) and bring upon themselves God’s judgment.
4. By taking away from what the Bible says. God has never allowed man to do so (Revelation 22:19; Deuteronomy 12:32). Denominational churches take away the name of the church (Romans 16:16), the first day of the week observance of the Lord’s Supper (Acts 20:7), water baptism for the forgiveness of sins (Acts 22:16), and scriptural giving (1 Corinthians 16:1-2).
5. By substituting something else for what God commanded. Nadab and Abihu died because they substituted a different fire for what God commanded (Leviticus 10:1-2). Denominations today substitute “fund raisers” in place of the first day collection (1 Corinthians 16:1-2), sprinkling instead of immersion (Colossians 2:12), entertainment and recreation instead of gospel preaching (1 Corinthians 1:18-21). There is no end to men substituting for God’s divine arrangement.
Love, respect, and obey what God says. You will not be saved any other way (John 12:48; Rom. 1:16).
Midtown church of Christ